Location: Pauma Valley, California, United States
Justice Gerald J. Lewis has been recognized by Marquis Who’s Who Top Lawyers for dedication, achievements and leadership in prosecution.
Justice Lewis began his professional career as an attorney at General Atomic in La Jolla, California, in 1961, remaining in this position for two years before becoming a partner at Haskins, Lewis, Nugent & Newnham in San Diego from 1963 to 1977. After serving as a judge at Ramona Justice Court for one year, he transferred to the Municipal Court of El Cajon from 1977 to 1979 and the Superior Court of San Diego from 1979 to 1984. He then served as an associate judge for the California Court of Appeals in San Diego from 1984 to 1987 and of counsel at Lathan & Watkins from 1987 to 1997. Justice Lewis was also a private arbitrator and mediator from 1997 to 2012.
In addition to this tenure, Justice Lewis served as an adjunct professor of evidence at the Western State University School of Law from 1977 to 1985, as well as served on its executive board from 1977 to 1989. A faculty member of the San Diego Inn of Court in 1979 and the American Inn of Court in 1984, he sat by appointment of the chief justice as a member of the California Supreme Court on the case of Cohen v. San Francisco in 1984. From 1987 to 2012, he served on the board of directors for Cardium Therapeutics Inc., and the Tennenbaum Opportunities Fund V, as an independent mediator and an arbitrator, among other roles. Prior to the start of his career, Justice Lewis pursued a formal education at Tufts University, earning a Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, in 1954. He then attended Harvard University, where he attained a JD in 1957, and served to lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy from 1957 to 1961. He has since been admitted to practice in the States of New Jersey and California, the District of Columbia and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Active in his local community, Justice Lewis served as a city attorney for the cities of Del Mar, California, from 1963 to 1974 and Coronado, California, from 1972 to 1977, and of counsel for the Comprehensive Planning Organization in San Diego from 1972 to 1973. He also served on the board of directors for the Air Pollution Control District of San Diego County from 1972 to 1976 and as a trustee for the San Diego Museum of Art from 1986 to 1989. Justice Lewis was further a consultant editor for the “California Civil Jury Instructions” in 1984.
A member of numerous organizations related to his field, Justice Lewis is a Knight Commander of the Order of St. Hubert. In light of his accomplishments, he was named Trial Judge of the Year by the San Diego Trial Lawyers Association in 1984. A recipient of the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, he also accepted the Heritage Award from the American Ireland Fund in 2004. Justice Lewis was selected for inclusion in numerous editions of Who’s Who publications.
Contact Justice Lewis: